The Kejetia Traders Association is to withdraw the lawsuit, seeking to place an injunction on the commencement of the first phase of the $ 298 million Kejetia/Central Market Redevelopment Project.
This follows the intervention of the Asantehene, Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, who had already initiated moves for an amicable settlement of the impasse.
The traders had filed the suit at the law-court to restrain the Kumasi Metropolitan Assembly, owners of the project, from commencing the first phase, involving construction of the Kejetia Lorry Terminal, until all outstanding issues had been resolved.
They are seeking, among other things, to be given the first option to own shops and stalls upon the completion of the two-and-half year project.
In addition, the traders want the Assembly to come out clear on the processes for their resettlement.
Mr Bernard Kwasi Dwomoh, Vice-President of the Association, told the Ghana News Agency, Kumasi, on Sunday that, “the traders are so far satisfied with measures being in place by the Asantehene to get all outstanding issues resolved.”
“We will accede to the Asantehene’s request and believe that the pathway he has drawn to get the Assembly to addressing issues bothering on our resettlement would materialize,” he said.
Mr Dwomoh said the traders were not against the concept of redeveloping Kejetia, but the Assembly must do the right for its smooth take-off.
Meanwhile, the Association, in collaboration with the Petty Traders Association, has held a news conference to deny rumours that they intended to embark on a massive demonstration to press home their demands.
“We have no plans to hit the streets, and anybody who is planning to do such a thing must stop since negotiations have reached far to addressing our concerns,” he said. GNA