Nineteen students of Sunyani Polytechnic arrested

The Police in Sunyani on Monday arrested 19 students, including two females of the Sunyani Polytechnic (S-Poly), for blocking the main Kumasi-Sunyani road.

The portion of the road passing through the front view of the Polytechnic was blocked with tyres, logs and stones.

Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Christopher Tawiah , Regional Public Relations Officer (PRO), said those arrested were Tabia Patricia,19, Adu Ernest 21, Addo Isaac, 20, Adomako David 22, Ndiugo Theophilus 21, Anaaso Joseph,23 , Ntim Antwi George,28, Richmond Ashong ,24, Mba Caleb 22 and Debra Alex, 22.

The rest were Mohammed Fuseini, Oppong Bashiru, Asibi Nathaniel, Benjamin Mensah, Nguta Jackson, Brefo Sammuel, Amponsah Manu, Anaba Tininja Dominic and Salifu Kanyiri.

Briefing the press in Sunyani, ASP Tawiah stated that the Police at about 1700 hours on that day had information that the students were heckling some executives of the Polytechnic Students’ Representative Council (SRC) on campus for allegedly misappropriating over GHC350,000.

He said a combined Police and Military team quickly moved to the scene to rescue the two executives, Appiah Gordon, 27, the SRC President, and Felix Adu, 23, the SRC Project Manager and took them to the Regional Police headquarters.

ASP Tawiah said the irate students followed to the police headquarters and started throwing stones at the Police to release the two executives.

He said after they were dispersed, the students returned to campus and blocked the road to prevent the flow of vehicles, thereby putting the lives of the general public in danger.

ASP Tawiah said the police went to the scene to clear the road, but were again attacked by the students who threw stones under cover from the campus.

He said the situation compelled the police and the military to use tear gas and rubber bullets to contain the situation.

ASP Tawiah said the police had intensified their patrols on the campus of the polytechnic, to ensure peace and order for drivers and pedestrians plying the road without any hindrance.

He said there were no casualties, but the police were taking statements from the students, after which they would be handed over to the school authorities to decide their fate. GNA

Leave a Reply