Efforts to improve sanitation in schools intensify

Sanitation in the Asante-Akim South District schools has significantly improved through the construction of toilets for the pupils and their teachers under a joint funding scheme.

More than 60 schools have been provided with decent facilities.

The International Development Association (IDA) of the World Bank and the African Development Bank (AfDB) provided 90 per cent of the money with the district assembly and the beneficiary communities picking the remaining 10 per cent.

Mr Gideon Raymond Amoyaw, District Team Leader of the Community Water and Sanitation Agency (GWSA), the body that undertook the project, told the Ghana News Agency (GNA) that the health benefits had been tremendous.

It was implemented under the phase four of the rural water and sanitation project.

He said until the intervention, the situation that existed in many of the schools was a complete eyesore.

He mentioned Juaso SDA, Breku, Nkwanta Presbyterian, Gyadam, Dwendwenase, Ofoase, Amantia, Asuboa, Muramura, Takyikrom, Atiemo-Nkwanta, Odubi and Banso primary schools’ among the beneficiaries.

The others include Adomfe, Dampong, Nnadieso, Tokwai-Odumase, Kumeso and Nkyesa junior high schools.

The GNA had visited the district under STAR-Ghana’s media auditing and tracking of development projects, an initiative launched to put a spotlight on how government’s resources were helping to make things better for the people, particularly the rural population.

The goal is to aid transparency, promote accountability and good governance.

Mr Amoyaw said the CWSA has been working hard to bring safe drinking water and related sanitation services to rural communities and small towns.

They have been doing this through the decentralized structures at the district and community levels.

Mr De-graft Forkuo, the District Chief Executive (DCE), said the Agency has been the assembly’s key ally in the delivery of water and sanitation to the people.

He said their partnership had brought safe and reliable water to about 95 per cent of communities in the district. GNA

Leave a Reply