The Financial Court has refused an objection raised by the prosecution over a letter referred to by Mr Alfred Woyome, a businessman.
Mr Woyome referred to the letter in his evidence over the possible inclusion of the Shanghai Group in the CAN 2008 tendering and bidding process.
According to the prosecution, Mr Woyome is not the author of the document and the custodian of the document and also the letter was not addressed to him (Woyome) personally.
The prosecution also indicated the document was not relevant to the matter in question and that the objection should hold.
The Court Presided over by Justice John Ajet-Nassam said the document in contention now was relevant because, it was coming from the Ghana Mission in China.
He said refusing the accused person to make reference to the document would be an injustice to him.
“Other documents have been tendered in this court without the accused person being the author but the prosecution did not object…,” he added.
Mr Woyome told the court that the letter from the Ghana Mission dated August 11, 2005 was written after the Former President John Agyekum Kuffour directed for due diligence to be made about the Shanghai Group.
He said the letter was sent straight to Dr Kofi Amoah, the then Chairman of the Local Organizing Committee of CAN 2008 without passing the appropriate authorities like the Central Tendering Review Board.
He said after his contract was abrogated, Government sent Mr Yaw Osafo-Maafo and Dr Amoah to China to meet with the Shanghai group for negotiation about the construction of the stadia for the CAN 2008 tournament.
He said prior to Mr Osafo-Maafo, and Dr Amoah’s trip to China, they were summoned by President Kuffour to brief him on the progress of the bidding process and other issues interfering with the commencement of the project.
He said some of the interferences included the submission of alleged proposal by Dr Amoah on behalf of the Shanghai group and a letter dated July 20, 2005 purported to be written by Dr Amoah to Mr Osafo-Maafo, instructing him to include the group in the bidding process.
An MOU was signed with the group for the construction of the Essipong and the Tamale stadia, where they indicated $18 million each instead of $38 million per stadia,” he added.
Mr Woyome said after all these, Government together with him, arrived at a settlement of two per cent of total arrangement funding, which would make him construct the following 10 regional stadia, six regional hospitals, one National Accident and emergence centre under the recommendation of the IOC and PMP.
Mr Woyome, a businessman, made the statement when he continued with his evidence in chief at the on-going trial.
Mr Woyome is standing trial for defrauding by false pretenses, and causing financial loss to the State.
He has pleaded not guilty to the charges, and is on a GH₵ 20-million bail.
The case had been adjourned to June 18. GNA