Driver held for the death of Immigration Officer

A driver, Aaron Takyi was on Wednesday put before a District Court for intentionally killing Mr Kofi Quist Defor, an Immigration Officer at his residence at Mataheko near Tema.

Takyi charged with murder had his plea reserved. The court presided over by Mr Walanyoh Kotoku remanded Takyi into Police custody pending further investigation.

The matter has been adjourned to January 29.

The facts as presented by Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) C. K. Abandamlora are that the deceased lived at Mataheko near Tema with his wife Kafui Magdalene Tamakloe and two others in the house.

Takyi who lived at Afienya had worked as a driver for the deceased over the past five years and he had access to the deceased home.

The accused was also familiar with deceased’s Asian security dog in the house.

Prosecution said apart from two relations who fed the dog in the house, only the deceased and Takyi could go nearer to the dog.

The prosecution said a week prior to Mr Defor’s death, Takyi unceremoniously stopped picking calls from the deceased and wife on the basis that the deceased had failed to purchase him a Sprinter to drive.

The deceased during his posting to the Ghana Immigration Service Headquarters, established contacts with some foreign companies including Blow Group of Companies.

Whiles on transfer he was still working for these companies, especially Blowplast Industrial Company Limited, prosecution added.

The prosecutor said some time in the year 2012, the deceased laid hands on a threatening note to wit; “Blowplast, your man is too arrogant in the office. He thought he is schooling so, he is not given any respect in the office.

“This is just the beginning of the battle with him. Immigration is not belong to him is for all of us because we are Ghana. We don’t want you to be in trouble that is why we posted the passport back to you to start the process afresh. Thank. This should be a lesson to QUIST in the office stupid man”.

ASP Abandamlora said the deceased treated the content of the note as a joke and therefore did not act on it.

On December 28, last year, at about 0200 hours the deceased and his wife were asleep when armed men scaled their wall into the house without the dog barking and entered the living room through to the kitchen door which was not well fortified.

The men broke into the deceased’s bedroom, dragged him to the living room and subjected him to severe beating and later shot him on the right shoulder and also hit him several times in the neck rendering him unconscious. They abandoned the deceased and bolted.

Prosecution said the deceased was rushed to the Tema General Hospital but was pronounced dead on arrival.

ASP Abandamlora said during investigation, Takyi denied the offence but he gave conflicting statements. GNA

Leave a Reply