The International Criminal Court says Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta will now go on trial November 12.
The court announced the new start date Thursday, after granting Kenyatta’s defense team more time to prepare their case.
The trial had been scheduled to begin in July, but the court said there were delays in the prosecution providing evidence.
Kenyatta is charged with five counts of crimes against humanity for his alleged role in orchestrating ethnic violence that swept through Kenya after the 2007 presidential election. More than 1,100 people died.
Deputy Vice President William Ruto and radio executive Joshua Arap Sang are also facing charges at the ICC. Their trial is set for September 10. The court said earlier this month those proceedings may begin in Kenya or Tanzania instead of the ICC’s headquarters in The Hague.
All three men have denied the charges against them.
Despite the pending cases, Kenyatta won a first-round victory in Kenya’s elections in March with Ruto as his running mate. VOA