Eighty-five people released at Kwame Danso

Eighty-five out of the 130 persons initially arrested in connection with last Wednesday’s disturbance at Kwame Danso, capital of the Sene District in Brong Ahafo are to be granted bail after screening by the police in Sunyani.

Mr Kwadwo Nyamekye Marfo, Brong Ahafo Regional Minister, who announced this to newsmen at the weekend said the police were satisfied that nothing incriminating had so far been found against them.

He said arrangements were being made to transport the freed persons to Kwame Danso where their families would be made to sign bail bonds for them.

The remaining suspects will undergo further screening and hopefully by Monday those not found connected with the disturbance will again be released, the Regional Minister added.

Mr Nyamekye Marfo was flanked by Deputy Commissioner of Police Robert Ayalingo, Regional Police Commander, Mr Felix Chaahaah, Regional Co-ordinating Director and some other members of the Regional Security Council (REGSEC).

Last Wednesday a group of the youth at Kwame Danso took a radical action to facilitate the enstoolment of a new paramount chief for the area and marched to the police station at Kwame Danso where an alleged “chieftaincy contractor” whom they said had proved to be a stumbling block to the installation of a new chief had taken refuge.

The police said the youth attempted to disarm a policeman on duty at the station and in the ensuing melee his gun fell and shots that rang out killed two of the demonstrators and injured one other.

They then beat up the policeman and was left dead but was rescued by some good Samaritans who took him to the hospital.

On the indefinite curfew imposed on the area following the mayhem, Mr Nyamekye Marfo said it would remain in force until the REGSEC became satisfied that the situation was under complete control in the area.

He disclosed that most of the suspects in the violence were on the run but the police would apprehend them.

“If the police become satisfied that they have got enough persons connected with the mayhem and upon a report from the district’s security committee (DISEC) the curfew can be reviewed”, the Regional Minister said.

Mr Nyamekye Marfo said the REGSEC would meet on Monday January 9 and study the report from the DISEC “upon which we shall recommend for the lifting of the curfew”.

DCOP Ayalingo announced that the “chieftaincy contractor” only known as Tot, whose presence at the police station ignited the mayhem had also been arrested and was assisting the police in their investigations. GNA

Leave a Reply