Passengers Deny Mass Rape

Two passengers of the infamous robbery attack on the Tamale bound bus at Ejisu in the Ashanti where it was alleged victims were raped in turns have denied the claim.

According to Maekelbergh Fenke, a Belgian national holidaying in Ghana and Nuhu Yahaya Ole, her Ghanaian Friend both on board the Yuntong bus with registration number GN263-10 they were indeed attacked at about 2am on the 12th October 2010. The victims indicate that they boarded the bus in the night of 11th October at about 8pm and left Accra shortly but 30 kilometers to Kumasi they were attacked by the suspected robbers.

Ms. Maekelbergh Fenke said the driver of the vehicle failed to stop and only screeched to a halt fifteen minutes later when they arrived at a police station rebutting claims that there was any rape or torture of passengers.

She told officials of the Northern Regional Police Command that she was travelling to Laribanga in the West Gonja district with her friend and insisted that no one on the said bus was raped or even robbed as narrated by Amina Mohammed who was also on board the vehicle.

The Belgian lady handed to the police pictures of the attacks of the bus which revealed some cracks on the windscreen and other defects as a result of the gunshots. The driver of the said vehicle and officials of the Ghana Police in Ejisu have corroborated the story and indicated that the driver reported the incident and his statement was taken.

The incoming Northern Regional Commander, DCOP Row Anyinbasa Amuni thanked the lady and her Ghanaian friend for their support in vindicating the police that the mass rape was a hoax. He used the opportunity to call on the media to be circumspect in their reportage in order not to run down the reputation of the police and turn back to accuse them of not performing.

It would be recalled that a 24-year-old Amina Mohammed told Tema-based Adom FM last week that she was a passenger on the bus which was besieged by armed robbers who after taking away all their property and forced the men to have force sex with the females passengers on the bus on October 11. According to Amina, the incident was reported at the Ejisu Police station but they did not report the rape as a result of an agreement reached by all the passengers not to talk about it for fear of stigmatization.

The story has stirred a lot of controversy and the police have rubbished. President John Evans Mills consequently summoned senior security officers including the IGP, Paul Tawiah Quaye tasking them to get to the bottom of the allegation.

Amina Mohammed was subsequently picked up by the police after she was questioned and taken to the Police Headquarters in Accra where she has been detained since Saturday, October 30 while efforts by the management of Adom FM and lawyer Ken Attafuah to bail her have been unsuccessful. 
Source: Daily Guide

Leave a Reply